Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Humpday!

I am still not sure how it got to be Wednesday already. You'd think that since I have three workdays under my belt this week, I'd have lots to say. Particularly since I work with the general public and put up with their incessant chatter/whining/griping/ praising/humming/singing whatever on a daily basis. I guess this week has been pretty uneventful so far.

I did find out that Jay has undermined the store again. He told a customer last Saturday that she could not leave her consignment items in the store "because we didn't have room." I could strangle that boy. When a customer wants to consign something, we make room.

It turns out that with a little shuffling, we would have had room. But Jay is extremely lazy and didn't want to deal with it, so there you go.

The other night I went online and checked the store's security cameras while Jay was working. I also logged in to the store's computers via www.gotomypc.com so that I could watch exactly what he was doing. He spent a solid hour on WizardWorld or somesuch, even though I called him halfway through that hour and told him I needed the back section cleaned up. He grunted "uh huh" and hung up, then proceeded to sit there and surf the Internet until closing time. He only stood up and moved a couple of boxes at that point because Gary came in unexpectedly.

Gary and I have talked at length about what to do with Jay. On the one hand, we want to fire him; on the other, the store is desperate for workers. What I want Gary to realize is that while Jay may be a semi-trained warm body to cover the store when we need him, he is also hurting the bottom line.

I hired a new kid today, and he starts tomorrow. I'm optimistic about this one, and I sure do hope he works out because Jay really, really has to go.

Hmm, looks like I had more to say than I thought.

3 comments:

Fishie said...

You know, I put up with a lot of Jays in my time, and it's usually because of the Warm Body Factor. You have no idea how much it takes to fire someone at one job I have. Maybe I have a low laziness tolerance (entirely possible) but when people don't show up or waltz in ages late, refuse to do things they've been reminded to over and over, I lose my head.

Please tell me Jay is Scootsville soon! And tell Gary it never, never, ever gets better when they are like this. They have to have a radical paradigm shift before they change, and it isn't happening unsupervised in the store.

Unless you held him up with your imaginary .22.

Anonymous said...

It's Wizard Universe. It's your one-stop shop for hot leotarded superchix.

Anonymous said...

Start leaving Jay a written list of things to do during his shift. Check off what has/has not been done and date it. This will be good documentation for when you throw his lazy butt to the curb! Or, maybe when he realizes that he really is exepected to do something for a paycheck, he may start working....Naaaah!