I GOT A NEW TOY
Ever since hubby's new employer supplied him with a Blackberry of his very own (going on three months now), I've been saying that I was going to downgrade our cellular service. No need to pay for an extra phone and minutes you don't use, right? Well, today was the big day! I decided to go with Sprint because they have a family plan wherein you can call other Sprint customers for free. The vast majority of my family uses Sprint, so with all that "free" time, I was able to get the cheapest plan with the fewest minutes, saving us somewhere around 40 bucks a month.
My new phone is very cool, if I do say so myself. First of all, it was free - no mail-in rebate or anything. Can't beat that. It has voice dialing, which I didn't have before and will be using constantly until the novelty wears off, lol. It's a flip phone, which I like because I've never had a phone that could cover up the number pad and I was always accidentally dialing someone. Yes, I knew how to lock the keys, but I didn't always remember to do so.
But my very favorite feature of my new phone? It rings. It doesn't play "SexyBack" or "Doncha" or "Copacabana" (although it could). It just rings, kinda like old-timey non-portable phones used to. One ringey-dingey...two ringey-dingey. Whee!
Tomorrow's plan: contacting Vonage or Skype to cut down on our landline costs. Anyone use either of those (Pez?)? Suggestions would be welcomed. And thanks in advance!
Wednesday, January 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
My brother has Vonage and loves it. He is in Korea but has a local (for me) number. He can check his voicemail online. Forward calls from a computer, and keep that same number wherever he goes.
A friend of mine has Skype. She really likes it. I haven't looked into it though.
My best friend had Vonage and the only complaint I had for it was even tho she lived a block away I still had to dial 1 because her number was routed thru Beach City (??). Luckily I have free long distance so it really didn't matter.
I have nothing useful to add as far as another phone service, I just want to say that I shake my ass to Tori Alamaze's version of "Doncha."
Be careful with replacing the landline with an online phone like Vonage and Skype. There have been reports that they don't offer 911 compatability. Definitely not something you want to find out when you need it! Be sure to ask about it as you look into the switch.
I use Skype but only as an instant messenger (messanger? - I am afraid to spell things incorrectly when I post to you!). As dai3f said, the 911 thing is not totally worked out with the non-traditional phone service providers so I will stick with my land line for now.
Post a Comment