IT'S FRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIDAY
A local DJ always says "it's Friday" all spread out as in the title of this post. I wish you could hear it; it always makes hubby and me smile.
This particular Friday is not going to be as relaxing for me as your typical Friday. That's because Pey's Girl Scout troop, of which I am the leader, is meeting here at our house right after school today. We already had the requisite Parent Meeting last Monday, which was only slightly more fun than a root canal.
Actually, no, it wasn't.
Our troop consists of eight girls, at least two of which I'd happily boot out if I were given the opportunity. Am I awful for not loving every child I meet? Seriously, shouldn't Scout leaders be blessed with Jesus-like patience when it comes to dealing with the little lambs? If so, then I need to turn in my Pin.
In all fairness, I cannot completely fault the girls for their behavior at the first meeting. My co-leader, who had agreed to lead the girls in a craft or two while I met with parents and had them fill out paperwork, completely ignored her job. She stayed with the parents and chatted while a bunch of eight- and nine-year-olds ran amok in my dining room. Not only that, but she was completely unprepared for the meeting - I'd given her all of her daughters' paperwork ahead of time (two of her kids are in this troop). Alas, she hadn't filled out a single page.
So at this meeting, I was pretty much on my own - corraling the girls while simultaneously trying to keep them quiet enough that I could hear their parents' questions and answer them. By the time all these people left my house, it was after 8:00 p.m. The kids and hubby were hungry and tired, and I was all that plus aggravated. It turns out that while the girls were coloring printouts of the Girl Scout Law and the Girl Scout Promise, they took advantage of the fact that they were pretty much unsupervised to flip the posters over and draw pictures of people committing suicide. One girl said that when she grew up, she was going to be a "Sui-side-kick."
OMG.
Co-leader hears about this after the meeting, and gets upset because her daughters didn't yet know what suicide was, and she didn't want them to learn about it from other kids.
Um, yeah, ya think? Where were YOU when the girls were doing all that? Not where you were supposed to be, I can tell you that.
Typing this out is making me upset again. I just hope today's meeting goes better than the first one. Lord, give me strength.
Friday, October 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
OMG! Bless you.
That is all.
Just. Bless. You.
Holy crap, how old are these kids again? I hope today's meeting goes better.
You foolish baby. You poor, poor sap. There is a reason I don't "do" scouts. And that reason is parents. I'll plan mega-carnivals all year long, but don't put me in charge of a bunch of kids AND their parents. Parents, yes. Kids, yes. Both together? Uh uh.
Post a Comment