Fish, a special thanks to you for calling me so early this morning and praying over our family and the doctors and all. You have no idea how much I appreciate your friendship. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Now for the "good night" part: I am exhausted. Scratch that - K and I are exhausted. I barely slept a wink last night. K slept some, but still, we had to get up at 4:45 a.m. in order to be at the surgery center by 5:30. (By the way, both of those times should be forever stricken from the clock, if you want my two cents. Just.too.early.)
We got K all checked in at 5:30, and they put him into the pre-op room by 5:45. He got his first-ever IV line, which was a less-than-pleasant experience for him, but he was a real trooper and barely even winced. We then spent the next two hours waiting for the operation. That's a long time to sit and worry, but I'm pretty sure that's what K and I both were doing. The doctor came by and talked to us for a few minutes somewhere in there, but he had to take care of another child's surgery before he could get to K. Thus the delay.
[Sorry if this post rambles. I am beyond exhausted right now.]
Sometime after 7:30, the anesthesiologist came in and gave Kane what he called "happy juice." I'm pretty sure K was feeling no pain. Then they wheeled him into surgery. Over an hour later, the doctor came out and told hubby and me (hubby had arrived during that time, having had adventures of his own this morning - getting the little ones on the bus, and chasing our goofy dog down the street again - but I digress) that K's surgery had gone well. He also showed us some X-rays:
Before:

Annnnd After:

The first one still makes me shudder. That break had to have hurt something fierce. My poor baby...
The second one is less gross. It's strangely comforting to know that Kane's arm will be stronger than ever. Of course, we'll have to deal with having all that stuff removed in a few months (ugh!), but in the meantime, his injured arm will be safe.
When we saw K in the recovery room, the first thing he asked was if it was over yet. (Gotta love those drugs.) Then he dozed on and off for a little while, awakening several times to tell the nurse that the pain in his arm was a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10. Two IV shots of Demerol, and one straight-in-the-butt shot of Demerol and Phenergren later, the pain was finally bearable enough for him to get dressed.
We left the surgery center sometime after 11:00 a.m. K is still having a lot of pain in his arm, despite the Tylenol with codeine he's taking, and he cannot lift the arm without help. Right now I'm not all that worried - I'm pretty sure this is normal. But if we don't see some improvement by Monday, I'll be calling the doctor again.
But for now, I think a good long nap is just what the doctor ordered. Thank you, and good night.
3 comments:
Hugs to you both, and sweet dreams. Glad you're all home safe and sound!
I'm so happy things seem to have gone well.
Sounds like you both will be doing a lot of sleeping this weekend.
Big hugs for you guys. I hope his pain goes down soon, and he heals well. That first x-ray looked really nasty, :(
Post a Comment