I read this in Pez's blog, and thought wow, that's a great idea. My list may not be as comprehensive as hers, but I'll give it a shot anyway.
Delta Dawn (Tanya Tucker) - Singing on stage, microphone in hand, at the ripe old age of about five. Our babysitter, Joann, had three beautiful daughters; the oldest, Gail, sang in a band. Gail took a shine to me and often let me, a precocious little girl, sing along with her. Gail has since passed away, but she lives on in my heart every time I hear Tanya Tucker sing that song.
On The Road Again (Willie Nelson) - Oh, Mom. I miss you so much. Whenever I hear this song, I think of you singing "we're da bess of fwens" with Tree. It makes me smile.
Gonna Be A Heartache Tonight (The Eagles) - Little brother and his little guitar, strumming away one evening. Ran into the living room in a diaper and t-shirt, singing "gonna be a hard on tonight!" Never seen Mom turn so red or laugh that hard ... (at least not until T slipped in the muddy deep end of the pool and performed some kind of acrobatics - heehee).
Anything from Journey (Journey, natch) - High school. Parties. Drill Team. My first experience with "7 minutes in heaven" was to "Don't Stop Believing" (8th grade; Danny Burton; Yuck).
Standing on Higher Ground (Alan Parsons Project) - Hubby is major big time into APP. We had been dating a year or so when this album came out. Hubby was in Austin at college, and I was in Houston driving home from work. I exited I-45 at Rankin Road just in time to hear the end of the song and the deejay say, "That was the new one from the Alan Parsons Project." I sped the rest of the way to my apartment so that I could call Austin and talk about the song. Man, I remember waaaay too much about that.
Amanda (Boston) - Hubby (before he was hubby) and I listened to a lot of Boston in addition to APP. "Amanda" is my favorite Boston song, and whenever it comes on, I hearken back to the good old days. (Did I just say hearken? Good grief, I'm becoming my grandma.)
Deep (Moody Blues) - Er, just because? =D Hubby introduced me to Moody Blues, and they're still a favorite to this day. We even saw them in concert a few years back. They're older and grayer, but still very, very cool. "Knights in White Satin" - also very cool.
Mister Roboto (Styx) - My kids love this song. We've spent many an hour dancing around the living room to "Domo arigato, Mister Roboto, Domo (Domo)..."
I could probably add fifty more songs to this list, but I guess I'll stop here. These days I'm listening to Classic Country 97.1 a lot because most of the songs remind me of my childhood. But don't worry, hubby - I'll get back to Alan Baby soon!
Friday, September 30, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Great songs! I was a big fan of APP's "The Turn of a Friendly Card" album in high school!
TOAFC is one of the best albums APP ever put out. I love most of them, but that one is probably my favorite.
"Eye in the Sky" has been overplayed throughout the years, so it's lost it's appeal somewhat. But have you ever listened to the album "Gaudi"? It's really good. (That's what "Standing on Higher Ground" is from. :)
Post a Comment