Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Science, hold the Fiction

Background, per emails between hubby and myself and K's science teacher:

I wrote to Hubby: K got a 71 (D) on last Friday's Honors science test, and a 63 (F) on the major lab they did at the same time. One of the deductions was "-5 for using pen instead of pencil." Give me a break - his mechanical pencil had broken, and it was the middle of a test, during which time the teacher won't let the kids up from their desks.

I wrote to Science teacher: Dear Ms. G, Wow, that was an awful test grade K brought home today. I want you to know that he studied every night (along with his dad and me) for several days before the test. We are all shocked at his score - him most of all. He is sitting here with tears of frustration running down his cheeks. As much work as he puts into this class, I can't say I blame him. Do you have any suggestions?

Ms. G wrote me back: Dear Ms. K's mom, I think moving to "regulars" will help with K's frustration level. I will talk to the counselor about this today, but you might also want to try and call her to see if that will speed things up. (In other words, don't let the proverbial door hit K in his proverbial butt.)

Me in Real Life: This morning I went to K's school to meet with his counselor. I told her that I wanted his science class switched, as his grades and self-esteem were plummeting each passing day. So lickety-split, she moved him into another science class. Same period and everything, which is great. We were worried that changing teachers would mess up his entire schedule; fortunately, that particular worry was all for naught.

K had a test today in his new science class, and he came home very happy about it. He said that all his studying had paid off, because he felt very confident about it. I am so happy for him. It's nice to see my child with a spring in his step again.

And hey - I think I found *my* springy step, too!

Off topic: Tonight I cooked dinner for the inlaws. I made Kimmer's awesome pork tenderloin with balsamic-cranberry sauce (only I made it with pork chops instead). It was To.Die.For. Everyone LOVED it. So Kimmer, I owe you one. Thanks so much! :)

3 comments:

Pez said...

Sorry about K's science teacher but glad he got switched and I am sure things will improve for him.

I am dying to try that recipe now!

Chris said...

Yay for K, and you too momma bear! :)

Kimmer said...

K is better off out of that class, as much to get away from the "teacher" as from the excessive workload.

Glad you liked the recipe! I should have mentioned that boneless pork chops are a very tasty, and economical, option (that's what we use most of the time, in fact).