Monday, August 22, 2005

Revenge of the bus

Today K's bus comes by at 4:10. I am stoked because this means all my little chicks are back in the nest early. Only - they're not. The bus stops and one person gets off. And it ain't K.

So I turn into Flo Jo and take off running around the block, trying to flag the bus driver down. Naturally, he does not see me. So I race back home, grab the car keys, and drive like a madwoman toward the school, all the while hoping that I'll either catch up to the bus or find that K just happened to miss it and was waiting patiently for me in front of the school (yeah, right).

Meanwhile, I'm calling 411 and trying to get the number to the school so that they can tell me if my baby is sitting there crying and wanting his mommy. In all my panicking, I give the nice lady at 411 the name of the wrong school. Hello! We've moved! K no longer goes to WMS, idiot. That only took me two tries (and $2.50) to figure out.

Sooooo ... I call home while pulling into the parking lot of the school. I am met with the answering machine and continue to babble into it "helloooooo, it's moommmmm, pick up the phoooone, I'm going to keep talking until you dooooo..." until finally R picks up. He says, "Sorry I didn't answer sooner, mom. I was unlocking the front door for K."

Mixed feelings of anger and relief wash over me. I ask to talk to K, who comes to the phone in tears because he missed his stop and had to walk three blocks to get home, and now thinks I'm mad at him (okay, I was, a little). Now, a little walking won't kill anyone, but the bus driver annoys me - he told K "this is my last stop; you have to get off. Your street is that way," and jerks his finger backwards. Then he put.my.child.off.the.bus.

The more I think about it, the madder I get. I seriously doubt that tossing a kid off the bus is protocol. K is new to the area. He wasn't sure where he was, and could easily have gotten lost. OMG, we're so lucky he got home in one piece.

I'll be calling to talk to the bus driver's boss tomorrow. Lord, please don't let me get the evil transportation lady ...

2 comments:

Kimmer said...

Time to kick ass and take names. That is NOT acceptable. Glad K is safe and sound!

The Vichy said...

The worst part is that they put him off the bus on a major street. When I think of all the cars that fly by there and what could have happened ... >:(