Saturday, March 15, 2008

EMPLOYEE ISSUES

One of the comments on my previous post asked if I was going to stop telling employee stories now that I'm officially an owner of the business. No worries; I'm definitely not going to stop. I never used anyone's real name - even Gary is not my co-owner's real name - so why shouldn't I share the fun?

Only now that I'm half-responsible for the bills, this latest story is not so much "fun."

I went to the store this morning to check on an eBay item from yesterday, and found that Dubya, who'd closed last night, had left the air conditioner on. But not just one - he left TWO of them on! (The store has three separate units.)

As a point of reference:

My house = 3,050 sf; two-story; poor insulation; single-paned windows
The store = 3,300 sf; single-story; good insulation; three solid walls

Last month's light bills:
My house = $103.00
The store = $500.00

I do not know how that happened, as we haven't been running the heat or a/c in a long time. Understandably, I'm very upset with Dubya, and would love it if it were legal for me to dock his paycheck to pay for the empty store being air conditioned last night.

But that's not all.

He did not set the alarm correctly, meaning if someone had broken in, we'd be screwed.
He left a large area of broken glass in one of the main pathways of the store.
He lied on the check-out form (everyone who does closing has to fill this out) - said he'd turned off the a/c and vacuumed, when he certainly had not.

Thing is, I really like Dubya, and I'm as disappointed in him as I would be if one of my own kids had lied to me.

Hopefully that will be the worst thing that happens this weekend. If not, well, stay tuned!

1 comment:

Pez said...

Ouch! That power bill would hurt. I hope that Dubya does not make a mistake like that again.

And sorry for the double comment on the last post. I was just *so* excited for you. ;)