Thursday, May 31, 2007

DISHING

Under my Bookmarks, I have flagged my blog as "Musings." I should just go ahead and rename it that because I honestly can't remember why I named it Her Vichyness in the first place.

Oh wait, yes I can. I did that so that my family wouldn't be able to find the blog should they choose to do a search. After the fiasco that followed Tnk's accident last year, I wanted their blog-reading privileges suspended. As far as they know, I no longer do any online journaling, so theoretically I could gritch about all of them all day long and they'd never know. The thing is, now that I'm gainfully employed, I hardly ever see the fams anymore and thus have little information to share about them anyway. Maybe one day I'll repost the stuff about Tnk's accident, as she now - and you won't believe this - WANTS ME TO GO TO THE MEDIA. She's been dealing with a bunch of crap since she went back to work and is frustrated with the politics in her precinct. But that's a long story for another day.

Actually, there is this one thing I've been itching to dish about: EMTsis, her hubby, and spoiled daughter, are selling their quarter-million dollar house, complete with the pool and social status they always wanted, and moving into an almost-quarter-million dollar townhouse. Where they will share not one but TWO walls with neighbors. Where they're giving up not only their own personal pool, but also a community pool, which for some strange reason does not exist in this place. Oh, they're getting to choose everything from scratch - countertops, carpet, etc. - which is ... woo freakin' hoo. Shared walls, people. For that kind of money, I want my own four walls (or hell, even five). And a pool. And a maid.

Now, I've lived in my share of apartments, and even two townhomes, and was perfectly content in almost all of them. But I was single and childless most of that time, and when I wasn't, it was strictly finances that led me to live in a place with shared walls. Let me share a little background on sis and her hubby that may shed some light on why I can't believe they're doing this...

They only drive a car until the tires get low, then trade it in for a new model (slight exaggeration, but not much). They have every new gadget the second it hits the market. Remember the original car phones? The ones that weighed seven pounds and cost $400? They had two. They bought a new car last year - their third vehicle - because their daughter "will be driving before we know it" and they wanted to have a car ready for her.

She's ten.

They also forked over almost $3500 for said daughter to go to Sylvan for math tutoring, when the school offered tutoring for free. Plus, I'm pretty good at 4th-grade math (!) and could certainly have helped her out, should sis and bro-in-law not be able to. But no, that wouldn't have been good enough. Aye yi yi, the money that's flowed through that family over the years...

It's not that I'm jealous, because I most assuredly am not. And here's why I'm not - they're in debt up to about fifty grand, at last count. That's all credit cards, with a few 401(k) borrowings thrown in for good measure.

Wow.

Anyway, all this rambling to say that I just don't think they'll be happy in the townhouse. My predictions are: (1) they'll never actually move in because they'll come to their senses before the unit is completed in September, or (2) they'll move in but put it up for sale within the year, going even further into debt.

BUT.

And you knew this was coming, didn't you?

EMTsis is a good person; she really is. If I ever have to call for an ambulance, I would definitely want her on it. She's a fantastic EMT, and would have made a great doctor or nurse. Her husband is an okay guy, too, but I admit that I liked him better before their daughter came along. And I'll leave that one alone right there, mmm-hmm. The daughter can be really good sometimes, but when her mom's around, she drives me nuts. I hate hate hate spoiled-brat syndrome, and baby, she has it in spades.

That's the dish. My next entry will be about our trip to Mizzou. Go Tigers.

No comments: