Thursday, September 21, 2006

THE MODERN COLONIALIST

Yesterday was Colonial Day at K's school. If the kids dressed up in colonial-era clothing (or gave it their best shot), they got extra credit points. Here was K's choice of outfits:


K sports a pair of navy blue dress slacks, floodwater-length, tucked into twice-worn soccer socks. (On his feet are a pair of modern style ebony lace-up shoes, but the teachers let that slide.) Topping this ensemble is Dad's Old Business Shirt (DOBS), complete with ring around the collar, cinched in at the waist with Mom's Old Brown Belt (MOBB). Our model is unaware that he wore a woman's belt to school all day. Fortunately, so was the rest of the student body.



K is a very shy kid, so I was concerned all day that he'd be [gasp!] noticed! And would come home irritable and colonially grouchy and vowing never to go to school again. But that didn't happen - not only did he enjoy Colonial Day, he said it was one of the most fun times he's ever had at school.

Kids.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! That sounds like fun! Tell him I think he looks very colonial, and I can picture one of those pointy colonial hats to complete the outfit. In fact, I think you should make or find one of those hats and he should use this as a Halloween costume.

Pez said...

K does look colonial! Jax wears a MOBB for his pirate gear.