Monday, September 04, 2006

IT'S MY LIFE

A couple of days ago, we took a family drive and went out for dinner at a little restaurant called Skeeter's, then ran a couple of errands. Just for fun, I took our new digital camera with me so that I could document a day in the life of, well, me.

The picture on the right is me in the van, taking an ever-so-candid shot of myself on the way to the restaurant. You might notice the stick-straight hair. After years of stick-my-finger-in-the-light-socket frizziness, I finally gave in and paid Supercuts to straighted my tresses. Did they ever! Take that, Texas humidity! I'm including a "before" picture taken at the reunion last week (why oh why did my hair have to look like that at the reunion?!?)














Before - Chewbacca. After - Rowr.

Moving on.

Pey looks terribly surprised about something. What's in that ketchup, anyway?










At Skeeter's, you can draw on the butcher-paper tablecloths. Here's Pey's drawing of Kirby, who is either quite winded or blowing a bubble. I never took Art History, so I'm at a loss.












Here are the kids acting all fly (in other words, "weird") in front of the restaurant after dinner. I had to crop out some unsuspecting hubcap-missing Toyota's license plate out of the picture, lest one of you innernet stalkers got a hankering to stalk him. You're welcome, Toyota owner. Now get a hubcap; your car looks dumb like that*:













Here's the gas pump where we filled up after dinner. Notice we're paying $2.29 around here right now. Road trip, anyone?












Here's the Kroger where I do my weekly Grocery Game (GG) shopping. I used to hate Kroger because of their stupid shopper's card. Now I know that it's a blessing sent straight from the heavens. Well, maybe straight from corporate headquarters, but who am I to quibble? Between my coupons and that card, I paid $49 Sunday morning for $110 worth of groceries. That's a savings of around 55%! Every week, I challenge myself to spend even less than the week before, and so far I've been successful. I'm totally addicted to GG'ing. It's like crack to me. (Someday I'll post a picture of my overflowing pantry and then you'll understand.)








(again, cropped out lots of license plates - all you car owners owe me for saving you from certain death)

And there you have it - a day (afternoon, really, but you probably wouldn't like the early-morning me) in the life of this Houston girl. Any questions?

*Before anyone accuses me of being a snob, a quick reminder: I drive a 1995 Saturn SL-2 with 172,000 miles on it. It recently got a new headliner, which helps somewhat with its appearance, but it still leaks some mysterious shit from underneath the passenger seat, sports a large winding crack across the windshield, has a console that vibrates more than my cell phone, and has more "doctor" appointments than I do. But hey, at least it has all four hubcaps.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Snob. Heh.

Beth said...

I guess a road trip to get gas that cheap would defeat the purpose huh?!

Kimmer said...

Wow, that is some damn cheap gas!

And I like your reunion picture, so there.

I think I need to check out the grocery game, or at least get back into the swing of tracking my grocery purchases again--I had a spreadsheet with a chart and everything! (end geekiness)

Anonymous said...

You meanie. I'm just on the other side of town and gas is still $2.59!

And I have a theory that Japanese cars jettison hubcaps the way college boys jettison their stomach contents; regularly and forcefully. I had not one, not two, but THREE Mazdas that could not keep their hubcaps on. I think they liked their wheels to be naked.

Pez said...

I enjoyed your roadtrip photos!

I am stunned that you only pay $2.29 for gas. No wonder people love Bush down your way.

BTW, both of those photos of you ROCK!