Tuesday, June 13, 2006

FEELING BLUE


This is a picture of our house on Homestead Air Force Base, Florida, in 1991. (Hubby is in the foreground, planting what came to be known as "the mighty oak.")




This was taken five days after Hurricane Andrew hit in 1992. (That's me walking toward the house, in search of anything salvageable.)






As you may recall, hubby and I recently took a trip to Ft. Lauderdale. While there, we made the two-hour drive down to Homestead to see how things have changed. Have they ever. This picture was taken on the street facing our former home. The little patches of concrete (to the right in the foreground) are part of what used to be our driveway.













I know that razing the base housing was really all the government could do, considering their unlivable condition in the aftermath of Andrew. I just didn't realize how painful the sight would be. We had some wonderful memories in that little house, and Homestead will always hold a special place in my heart.

More on the Florida trip in a later post. Don't worry; it wasn't all sad. :)

2 comments:

Beth said...

I can only imagine how painful that was. I'm glad it wasn't all sad!

Katie said...

Wow...