Tuesday, June 27, 2006

AND SO IT GOES

Hubby and I spent the weekend in the greater Austin area with some friends of ours. We were childless, which rocked, but our friends weren't, even though they thought they would be (plans with grandma fell through). Their kids are really good, but sometimes when you're around fun old friends, you just wanna have some obnoxious, grown-up, drunk-enough-that-everything's-funny-okay-not-really (maybe just a little) free time. Alas, that kind of fun is not so easily had with a 9- and 3-year old around.

I know, I know; I sound like an obnoxious lush. I promise I'm not. I just wanted to play one on TV, as the saying goes. Anyway.

So the reason we went to Austin was for a wedding. K's old soccer trainer - a 26-year-old Scotsman - was getting married to the mom of one of P's former teammates. The bride is easily a dozen years older than the groom, and we'd known them both long enough to go "hmm...????" at the relationship, so whispers abounded about a potential green card in the nuptials. However, at the ceremony they seemed pretty happy, so we put our judgmental-ness away.

The ceremony was cool: the groom and the junior groomsman (the bride's 10-year-old son) wore kilts. A bagpiper played the music. UBER cool, that. But - and you knew there'd be a but - some people were better dressed to go to the beach than to a wedding. Some guests were in halter tops, complete with exposed bra straps, mini skirts, and flip flops. Even the woman who sang a solo during the wedding was sadly underdressed: she had on a floppy, oversized black button-up shirt, tan capri pants, and old flip flops. Eww, and eww. Come on, if you are scheduled to sing at a wedding, DRESS THE PART.

This was a formal evening wedding, y'all. I was ... well, I want to say appalled, but "surprised" would be more gracious, I guess.

Here's how hubby and I were dressed for the wedding:



After the wedding, we went back to our friends' house because they'd graciously offered up their guest room for us. We ended up having a few Chrismos (their version of Cosmopolitans - Cosmos - but friend's name is Chris; ergo, Chrismos...see how clever our friends are? And how fun they'd be to drink with?) and talking for awhile. It was really good to see them, as it's been nearly a year since our last visit. Hopefully the next visit won't be quite so far in the future.

2 comments:

Pez said...

You and hubby make a beautiful couple, Vichy! :)

Beth said...

From someone with 4 kids, I totally get the wanting some adult time no matter how cool the other kids are. Totally understandable!

And I agree with Pez, you guys are an adorable couple.