Friday, May 05, 2006

DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING

Yesterday I received a letter in the mail from the physician I recently saw for my back pain. In addition to a "this is what's wrong with you" letter that contained a bunch of mumbo jumbo in medical-professional speak, I also received a little form letter. This letter has a bunch of options that physicians can easily check off to let you know lab results - i.e. "Bloodwork normal," "See us for follow-up," etc. You get the drift.

The line they checked off for me originally said, "Your x-rays came back normal." Only they had used a pen to cross off the word "normal," and written in "lower back - mild arthritis; scoliosis" and "upper back - scoliosis."

Er, that was surprising. What was also surprising was the fact neither letter told me what I should do next. Do I need to see the doctor again? Do I need to start taking glucosamine? Do I need to get my affairs in order? (Kidding, but at 2:00 this morning, I'd worked myself up pretty well.) I showed the letters to my sisters, who both came back with the same answer: "What are you supposed to do about it?"

I know, right?

I was going to call the doctor today, but I forgot. I was awake half the night with a little backache and a mind full of "I'm too young to have arthritis." I was so tired today that I slept for over two solid hours this afternoon.

This morning I took Tnk to physical therapy for her hand. She has PT three times a week, for over two hours at a time. Let me tell you, it was hard to stay awake, but at least *I* wasn't being poked and prodded.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to call the doctor on Monday. Hopefully I'll remember.

3 comments:

Pez said...

You'd think they could have used a new form rather than cross it out and write the problem on that same form! Geez!

Do you think the arthritis is causing the back pain? Did you ever know you had scholiosis?

Anonymous said...

Pez - My thoughts exactly. It was almost like they were thinking, "How can we make this worse for her? Oh yeah - let's cross off 'normal' and put some bad stuff in its place." (sigh)

Mandi - Tai Chi is a great idea. Do you have any video recommendations (a class may not be feasible at this time). :)

Mandi again - WHERE IS YOUR BLOG?

Anonymous said...

Forgot to answer this part:

Pez - No, I've never been diagnosed with scoliosis. Been checked a hundred times, but never did anyone say I had it.

As such, more than one person I've talked to (including one in the medical field) said that it's possible I *don't* actually have it - that my back spasm may have caused me to bend in a weird way. If that makes sense. I hope they're right.