Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Today I saw the inside of a police station

Intrigued? Heh. Well, fortunately for me, my visit to the station was not under duress. I ran an errand with my sister Tnk today, then she drove me out to where she works. It was pretty cool seeing all the police cars and police scanners and such. I even met one of her bosses - a big bear of a man with a heart the size of Montana. It made me happy to know that she's being watched over by the good guys.

It also made me happy to run errands with Tnk today because our main purpose of driving out to BFE today was to pick up her Kevlar vest. Finally. I can't tell you how relieved I am that her heart and lungs will be more protected now. She pooh-poohs my concerns, but I hope she knows deep down that I only nag her because I love her.

If you haven't seen the latest police vests, they're really pretty cool. They are much thinner than the Michelin Man vests of the past. In fact, I kept poking Tnk's vest and asking the sales guy if he was SURE it would stop a bullet. He assured me it would. Then he laughed at me, which I didn't appreciate much. I'm sure I seem like a goofy little civilian in that big ol' policeman store.

Tnk tried on her vest, it fit, then she had to sign over her firstborn in order to take it with her. Okay, not really, but they did make her write down her social security number before she could leave. I've heard that security measures have been stepped up, but this was the first time I'd seen it in action. Wow. I guess it makes sense, though - they only want the good guys to have that kind of protection.

After the policeman store (sorry, police "person" store), we drove out to the station. Turns out Tnk drives a long way to work every day. She doesn't mind, though, because she loves her job. And hearing her bosses talk about her, she's also good at it.

Proud of ya, Tnk. Keep up the good work. And hey - let me know when I can do that ride-along. I'd love to see you in action!

2 comments:

Kimmer said...

How odd is it that I think going with your sister to pick up her Kevlar vest is all warm & fuzzy?

The Vichy said...

I dunno, but I felt that way, too. :)