Tuesday, August 16, 2005

School time

Today was the first day of school for the kids. They were not happy about being awakened at 6:30, especially since they had spent the summer sleeping until 8:30 or 9:00. We've been working on adjusting bedtimes over the past week, but I guess that unless you adjust the wake-up times, too, it doesn't help much. Hey, at least we didn't do the ol' mattress-flip on 'em.

Breakfast today: R - chocolate & vanilla waffles; P - pancake-wrapped sausage on a stick (around here, we call them "breakfast corndogs"); K - two of those corndog things; Hubs - oatmeal; Me - Ha! Breakfast?!? I'm too busy taking care of the rest of the crew. Maybe later I'll grab a blueberry or something.

After breakfast this morning, the younger ones went out to catch the bus. It was their first ever! Boy were they excited! Boy will they be disappointed! heh. The time was 7:10, which is when the transportation lady told us they should be out there. So naturally, the bus shows up at 7:45. I know that on the first day of school things typically run behind, but wow. Hey, no problem - we like sitting out in the sun and humidity and letting the mosquitos take their best shot.

The transportation lady also told us that the junior high busses are always late during the first week of school because they do the elementary school runs first. So our oldest waits to go out - we were told he should be at the bus stop at 8:18 a.m. - and what flies by in all its orangey-yellowey glory at 8:16?

Oh joy, now we get to endure first-day-of-school traffic at the junior high.

Oh transportation lady, how I loathe thee.

I almost forgot: not only do we get to drive the kiddo to junior high, but there's even more fun to be had. The house next door, which has been for sale for months, has apparently gotten a buyer. The moving truck came today. Which driveway did it block? Yes, sports fans, you guessed right. The driver was persuaded (through pointing and hand-gesturing - no mucho habla Ingles) to move, which he did, but as soon as we left, he parked in front of our driveway again. So when we returned from school, with hubby anxious to get to work, there was more gesturing and pointing (and yes, I was tempted to toss in an "extra" gesture). This time, however, he turned the truck around and blocked NO ONE'S DRIVEWAY!

I registered for classes at the local community college today. I'm going to be taking American Government and Accounting this semester. Both are online courses, which I've done before with success, so I hope these classes are equally enjoyable. That said, however, be warned: there will, oh yes, will, be some bitching sessions here in this very blog in the next few months. I'm sure I'll have a few choice words to say about a crappy assignment or somesuch because that's the type of delightful, glass-half-empty person I am.

Thought for the day: If your significant other sounds impatient on the phone, don't keep up the mindless chatter; hang up! You don't want to hear her go to the bathroom, do you? ;) (Love ya, hubby!)

2 comments:

Kimmer said...

I'm not laughing at that last comment, really! (snicker)

I hope all the school bus woes get worked out soon, and that your new neighbors are more on the ball than the guy who drove their moving van!

Chris said...

Tinkle, tinkle little star...
Hope the rest of the week goes smoother for the kidlets!