Saturday, August 27, 2005

Party animal

The party was a success! Both honorees were completely surprised, which was great because gimpy sis and I had gone through a lot to ensure that certain information did not reach certain people. My police-sister loved the donut "cake," which was decorated on the fly with two tubes of icing that I didn't realize were tip-less (in other words, the donuts had gloppy frosting spilling down the sides instead of the pretty little florets I wanted to do). It was a yummy success anyway, and I'll ask sis to send me the picture she took so I can post it.

The other cake (for sdad's S.O.) was a delicious red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. This cake may well have been the most delicious cake I've ever had. Props to the Kroger bakery.

We spent the day visiting with the family, and the kids spent a few hours in the pool. They had a great time, and I'm so glad they got to go because this may very well be their last dip until next summer - since school started, our neighborhood pool is closed more than it is open. Phooey.

Well, I'm exhausted and will be heading to bed soon. I was up very late last night helping sis because she was having a rough time with some surgery issues. I feel for her. She was much better today, so hopefully she's back on track to a full recovery.

Completely unrelated, yet worth noting: Kroger had vine-ripened tomatoes this week, which smelled so fresh I felt like I'd just picked them myself. I wouldn't recommend putting them on cake, though. :)

2 comments:

Kimmer said...

Congrats on the successful parties!

M@ said...

Put cream cheese frosting on dirt, and I’m eating it.

In this era of processed foodstuffs with faux newness advertised on glossy wrappers and packaging, it’s so nice when there’s a real find – like your tomatoes. Congratulations on that. (I hold that blueberries and strawberries are coins fallen from God’s pocket...unexpected bits of goodness with which we can purchase longevity.)