Thursday, August 18, 2005

No catchy title comes to mind

Pez tagged me to do a little blurbette about my neighborhood (only she put a cute little "u" in "neighbourhood" - I love that), so that is how I shall start my blog today.

When did you move to the neighbourhood?

We moved into this house on July 1st of this year. Previously, we lived in a little 'burb of Austin, Texas, where nothing ever happened, but if it did, all four of the town's cops showed up to check it out.

What is your favourite part of the neighbourhood?

Like Pez, I love my house! It's far and away the nicest place I've ever lived - or ever dreamed of living. There are other nice parts of the subdivision, but my hands-down fave is this very house. Of course, the family that dwells within these four walls plays a big part in my love of the place.

What is your favourite place to visit around these parts?

That's a tough one, as Houston has SO many options. I used to really enjoy going downtown and having dinner at the spinning restaurant atop the Hyatt Regency (not sure if the restaurant is still there). In my little neck of the woods, my favorite place to hang out is Old Town Spring.

Where would you suggest someone new to your region should visit?

NASA's Johnson Space Center, which is located about an hour from where I live, is definitely a do-not-miss. Reliant Stadium and Minute Maid Park are also really cool to visit (confession: I've been to Reliant, but only during the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. Never been to MMP, but have heard it's freakin' awesome!) Anyway, I think that taking in a football or baseball game in a town I'm visiting is always a fun experience.

In other news ...

R & P's school bus got home 80 minutes late yesterday. I was beside myself with worry. I called transportation twice, but was given the "oh, everything's late, don't concern yourself" spiel until I gritted my teeth and said, "Look, my children are out there somewhere, and I'm scared to DEATH! I need to know something!" That did the trick - transportation lady (probably not the previously-mentioned one) immediately found their bus and told me what was going on. (For the record, they were short on drivers and my kids' route had to wait at school until another elementary route was done and the bus returned to the school before they got to load. The children sat in the gym for over an hour. NO parents were informed. Grrrr...)

Today, R & P were dropped off - at our front door, no less - 17 minutes after school let out. I think that's a new record.

K did not have a great day at school yesterday (darn, I was hoping his happy-streak would last more than a day). He was assigned all his textbooks, and they are HEAVY. These kids have tiny little lockers, so there's no way all those books will fit. And - they're not allowed to take their backpacks to any class. So that leaves 1100 kids toting around heavy books all day long. I mean, not that it will kill the kids or anything, but I know *I* wouldn't enjoy carting around 20 pounds of books between every class. Although it would tone up my arms quite nicely...

Sorry, I got off topic there. I have no solutions for K, short of making friends with a giant-bicep'ed dude (or chick; hey, I'm not picky) who will cart his books to class for him. If you have a better idea, I'd love to hear it. Just click on "Comments" and post away!

Today was filled with the excitement of laundry. I am so very bored. I can't even find any fun websites to surf. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to click on that "Comments" thingy.

I keep forgetting to mention that I'm low-carbing again. I figure if I mention it here, you guys can keep me honest. And no, I will not put a webcam on my fridge (not that that's a bad idea, mind you); you'll just have to trust me. Anyway, today is Day Three of my diet, and I've been doing pretty well. Except for the following: Night before last, I had about a quarter-cup of dump cake, and last night I had six pieces of onion from Chili's Awesome Blossom (sinful, that).

In preparation for this diet, the other day I threw away half a box of Oreo cookies and a package of yummmmmmmmy yogurt pretzels. There are currently two very-tempting fortune cookies sitting on the counter, but those (and the tortilla chips in my pantry) are my "tests." If I can withstand the call of their delectable goodness, I can do anything!

I've decided to name our house "As The Grass Grows." The lawn is long enough to warrant a letter from The Association (buh bum BUM!!!). I hate that. I did try to mow this morning, but the humidity was so high that I felt faint just getting the mower started and gave up. Then it rained here again this afternoon, so there ya go.

I am the queen of excuses, can you tell?

Guess I'd better get back to the hill of laundry. Hey, this morning it was a mountain, so I guess I'm making progress. Ah, what lowly heights I aspire to these days...

Have a good evening, everyone. And remember, you're never too old to start something new. Well, yes, you could be too old. But that takes all the fun out of that saying.

1 comment:

Kimmer said...

Bored? Go here: http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/ in addition to hilariously snarky recaps of really good (and really bad) shows, the forums are awesome, especially in TV Potluck.