Sunday, July 10, 2005

By request

Update on summer plans. Some names have been changed to protect the innocent.

May 17 - listed our house

May 31 - lowered the price

June 6 - moved in with in-laws in new town (during the week, anyway - weekends were spent in old town keeping an eye on the house)

June 8 - hubs started his new job; officially hates life now

June 15 - got contract on house; buyers wanted to move in on June 30!

Much wailing and gnashing of teeth later, I finally found a moving company that could move us on the 29th. They wouldn't do any packing, though - that was my job. (Uh, never, ever, again. What was I thinking?)

June 17 - House hunting in new town begins in earnest. Realtor and I look at a dozen houses in one morning. Two look promising, so we agree to bring hubs (the life-hater, remember?) back that night to see them.

Evening of 17th - Go to first house. What was I thinking? It had a pool. That was the only plus. Rest of house was . . . tired. Yeah, that's a nice way to put it. Who the heck carpets every bathroom all the way up the side of the tub and around the toilet? Gross. Anyway, I think seeing the nice cool pool during the hot summer day blinded me to the rest of the place. lol

Same evening - Go to second house. This one is a keeper. It's beautiful, large, and priced $40k below market because the sellers were retiring and desperately wanted to get back to California. The house had been on the market for months at a much higher price, and their realtor finally told them that if they were anxious to move, they'd have to really compete with other houses in the area. So the price dropped into our range, and we looked and fell in love. No time to write a contract that night because we had to go back to old town to keep packing...

June 19th - After a LONG, HOT, HUMID, HOT, ICKY, HUMID, DEAR-GOD-THE-INHUMANITY! HUMID weekend of packing up most of our house, we drove back and met realtor at in-law's house, where we wrote up a contract.

June 20th - Contract accepted! Wahoo! Now the real fun begins - inspections, appraisals, etc. Ugh.

Meanwhile . . .

Morning of June 28 - double-check next day's schedule with movers, who now tell me they can't do it! They have a problem with picking up my stuff on the 29th and delivering it on the 1st. After all this time, I was like WHAT THE %$#%*?!? I swear I aged 500 years that day....

Late afternoon of same day - talk to different person at moving company, who assures me that they'll be there and get us moved. I nearly fainted with relief. Well, from relief and humidity.

June 29th - Movers spent all day at house packing up two trucks full of . . . crap. Well, there was some furniture and some memorabilia, but I swear we have a bunch of crap. I told them they could just keep a few things - grandpa's old recliner, for example - but they just laughed at me.

June 30, 10:00 a.m. - Signed papers giving up ownership of our house. DH was very sad to leave old town. I was like, Later! (Heh, not really.)

July 1, 8:00 a.m. - Signed papers buying new house. Happy dance.

Since then, we've dealt with a few things around the new place, and I am knee-deep in boxes still to be unpacked. (Crap, crap and more crap, I'm sure.) But that's an improvement from the shoulder-deepness of a week ago. heh

The best part is that we were able to pay off our vehicle with proceeds from the other house, even after putting a substantial down payment on this house. We're completely debt-free, aside from the mortgage, which is a nice way to be.

And there you have my eventful, hot, and humid summer. Bring on the fall!

No comments: